How To Fix A Leak In Your Hot Tub
Construction & Contractors
If you have a leak in your hot tub, obviously you are going to want to find out where it is coming from and fix it. If you do not fix a leak in your hot tub, the cost of running your hot tub is going to increase. Not only are you going to have to refill it constantly with more water, but you could potentially face an even larger issue down the road as the leak becomes larger and causes more damage. Here's how to locate and repair a leak in your hot tub:
- Check the Pump: Since the pump is the most common place to find a leak in your hot tub, you are going to want to check here first. You must turn the power off to your hot tub and check under the pump for signs of large puddles or a hole. In order to repair this, you are going to either have to replace or seal the pump. Replacing the pump may only be necessary if the leak is still small enough to easily be sealed.
- Check the Union Fittings: If the leak is not coming from the pump, then you are going to want to check the union fittings, which are located around the pump. These fittings become loose really easily and you can easily tighten them by hand without using a wrench.
- Check the Heater: The heater is made of many different parts and components. If there is a leak coming from the heater, you are going to have to replace the necessary parts. It is best to hire a professional to ensure that you are replacing the right parts. This can even save you money since you will not buy and replace a part that is in perfect working condition.
- Check the Connections: All the pipes, jets, and connections need to be checked. You can either tighten or seal these areas if needed. However, for leaking jets, you are going to have to replace the gasket located inside of them. Also, if there is a leak coming from any PVC pipes inside of the hot tub, then you are going to have to seal these with a special PVC pipe sealant you can find at your local hardware store that will help to bond this material and harden it.
- Check with Food Coloring: After you have checked all these areas of the hot tub and you cannot find the source of the leak, then you can turn to using food coloring. What you will want to do is add a few drops of food coloring into the hot tub and watch where it leaks from. Basically, you want to find the puddle that contains the dye you have added.
By knowing how to repair your hot tub, you can be sure that you are going to help it to continue to run efficiently.
29 January 2015